As we move our clocks forward each spring, it often takes people a while to fully adjust to the loss of that 1 hour of sleep. Losing an hour of sleep can really make people feel drained. To make matters worse, when getting up it’s usually still dark.
American Automobile Association officials have come up with some tips to help drivers cope with the dark commute after they lose that hour during daylight savings time.
According to National Safety Council data, crashes typically increase by up to 6 percent on the Monday following the time change.
Drivers getting on the road before dawn are reminded to check and clean their car’s lights, such as headlights, and brake lights.
Tips for motorists:
- Get plenty of rest. Symptoms of drowsy driving can include having trouble keeping your eyes open, drifting from lanes, or not remembering the last few miles driven.
- Get some shades. Wear high-quality sunglasses and adjust the car’s sun visors as needed to avoid glare in the morning.
- Change driving habits. Reduce speeds and increase following distances, especially in more populated areas.
- Ditch the distractions. This can include cell phones, infotainment systems, or clocks that need to be turned back an hour.
- Use the headlights. This can make you more visible to pedestrians in the morning and evening. Don’t forget, even though the time changed, many will stick to their normal habits of walking home or exercising in the later hours.
- Remember to yield. Pedestrians have the right of way in crosswalks. Also, don’t pass vehicles stopped at crosswalks. Remember to yield the right of way to pedestrians in crosswalks.
Please be safe on the roads and look out for the signs of drowsy driving, like not staying within the lines or zoning out!
The same safe driving practices that are taught in A-1’s Defensive Driving Class can apply to be a safe driver in a car and on a motorcycle. There is a lot of very useful and informative information in the class and it will apply whether you have been driving for years or you are a brand new driver.