Sharing the road with bicycles can be confusing and challenging for drivers. To help, here are some tips for safe and effective highway sharing.
1. Use caution when turning – Cyclists ride on the right side of the road, so be aware of their presence and avoid hitting them with a sudden turn.
2. Pass slowly and with caution – Always give ample room for your car to safely pass and travel ahead of cyclists.
3. Stay out of bike lanes – When driving, make sure to avoid the bike lanes while pulling over or parking, even if it’s just for a moment.
4. Give them space – Some state laws require drivers to leave at least three feet of space between their car and the cyclists.
5. Yield – Always give the right of way to bikers.
6. Don’t assume – Not all riders are proficient, so be prepared for sudden swerves, abrupt braking, or even falls.
7. Watch out for children – Children riding bicycles are smaller and harder to spot on the road, so be extra cautious when driving near them.
Just remember, drive safe and with caution, and if you have anymore questions A-1 is here for you!